Rescue Time!

June 13th, 2008 by nenad

Rescue Time

Annabelle Kennedy posted a note about how much she loved Rescue: The Beagles accompanied by the artwork named Rescue Time she modestly referred to as a “fan art”. Take a look at the picture above. Obviously this is so much more. I can’t even begin to describe the joy it induced in me.

She somehow managed to capture the atmosphere of the game so amazingly well. Her ability to “read out” tiny pixel sprites and transpose them into fully fleshed characters is just astonishing while the execution easily parries commercial grade retail box illustrations. Oh, and the cuteness level is exactly to my liking.

Getting positive feedback on your game is one thing but when someone invest their time and effort into making something as elaborate as this… well, it’s just flattering.

Designing and developing a game is an intense process. You can easily find yourself wondering; “why the hell am I wasting my time staring at the screen the whole day? I’d be better off doing something useful, like sunbathing or having a pineapple picnic”. Receiving this kind of appreciation really makes the effort worthwhile.

I rather dislike using the word awesome but this is leaving me no choice because it’s nothing but a sheer awesomeness. For the end - a short announcement: This is now the official Rescue: The Beagles splash screen and as such it will be included in the final game release. Thanks Annabelle!

23 Comments on 'Rescue Time!'

1. June 13, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Jerom said:

Nice artwork for a nice game!

2. June 13, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Annabelle said:

many <3s!!

3. June 14, 2008 at 8:12 am

Rich Vreeland said:

WOW, this is so, so, cool. You rock Annabelle!

4. June 14, 2008 at 8:49 am

Rulac said:

Yeah! I Like It.

5. June 15, 2008 at 1:37 pm

konada said:

very nice artwork. game rocks!

6. June 16, 2008 at 7:41 pm

TERRMITh said:

Great game, I will have to put it on my worthless blog :)

7. July 1, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Stu said:

Hi, not sure where to ask but it doesn’t seem to start on Vista home, it just says

A Problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.

8. July 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm

shuanxcode said:

I would buy a shirt with that artwork in a heartbeat! probably on dark grey. size large. thanks -shaun

9. July 3, 2008 at 9:56 am

nenad said:

@Stu:

Vista is not “officially” supported. The game was not tested at all on Vista, however people have reported playing it without major problems.

@shaunxcode:

Well the t-shirts just may happen in the future.

10. July 13, 2008 at 10:07 am

Psychic Advice said:

Great blog, subscribed to your rss feed. Thanks.

11. July 15, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Mischief Maker said:

I have 3 small suggestions for the final version:

1. Do something to prevent the game from creating square pits. If they’re on the bottom layer, it’s impossible to get a dog out without using a rope and a parachute, screwing the player out of the no-item bonus through no fault of their own

2. Add the ability to customize button layout. There are still some of us for whom hitting “up” to jump in a platformer feels weird. (Also hitting “down” for a parachute).

3. Occasionally I start a level with no owls in sight and vivisectionists everywhere. Please do something to make sure that the player always has the necessary tools in reach.

12. July 20, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Chris said:

The game is cool, and this picture just hits the hammer on the head. Very good.

Btw, I always chose Edwin for playing. Now that I see how cute Nicole looks in “real life”, I think I’ll switch over to chosing her ;)

13. August 4, 2008 at 12:35 am

The Codex said:

Perfect picture for this excellent little game. Kudos to all the artists involved in this project! Now, about AblationX… :)

14. August 10, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Rescue Dude said:

So besides a splash screen and instructions, what are the other changes you have planned for the final version?

15. September 10, 2008 at 4:01 pm

JoP said:

I don’t know which is more genius - the game itself or the in-game tunes. Concept and art rocks. Game’s bordering on perfection. Music blows my mind.

Please don’t down tools. ‘Final version’ excites. How about a sell out and getting it on PSN or XBLA, get some payback, then make more game funk.

Thanks!

16. September 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Atom said:

Hey! I like the game….but It won’t show the letter “A” hmmm. I’m using x64 so perhaps it’s a problem with that. It froze my computer and forced a reboot, but I’m more concerned about the missing “A”

17. October 20, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Eugene said:

I am looking for some idea and stumble upon your posting :) decide to wish you Thanks. Eugene

18. October 22, 2008 at 10:15 am

Grimshad said:

Nenad please e-mail me asap Grimshad@gmail.com :)

Thanks,
    Grim

19. December 9, 2008 at 9:24 pm

josepzin said:

Wonderfull game!!! :) Thanks!!!!

20. March 12, 2009 at 5:23 am

glababa said:

This artwork is absolutely amazing in the way it catches the game’s universe so nicely. At first I thought this was a commercial for the game or something, as it looks so “pro”. Really nice.
    And great game too!

21. January 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm

nike blazer montantes said:

nike blazer montantes…

On his every person come to contemplate “Sunglasses inside the Night”, Corey Hart sung “I will gown up as my ideal colorings within the method to night”. Hart intended to have been tone in relation to Oakley eyeglasses. Probably the most beneficial…

22. May 11, 2015 at 10:49 am

custom sweatshirts said:

If you are going for finest contents like I do, just pay a visit this web site everyday as
    it gives feature contents, thanks

23. June 19, 2016 at 2:15 pm

csgo weapon said:

You’ve got amazing info on this web-site

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL