Select secondary weapon

October 26th, 2007 by nenad

Fire!
For the last couple of days, among the other things, I’ve been fine tuning the secondary weapons. While I’m at it, let me reflect briefly on the weapon system in Ablation X.

There is only one primary weapon called… the gun (or lazer if you wish). I’m very creative with the names, see :) This weapon can be powered up by the collectibles that float around. Pretty much straightforward shmup issue. However, it can operate in two modes of fire: spread and concentrated. Switching between the two can be done at any time by tapping the fire button. Player’s now able to make some tactical decisions in every situation; should he go softening the whole attack wave or just piercing right through it, should he concentrate fire on most dangerous targets first and then finish off the rest of the scattered enemies using spread fire or maybe the other way around…

Now to something a bit more interesting - secondary weapons. When prototyping them, I’ve had three things in mind: to give them a lot of destructive power, to utilize game’s unique hull/bullet concept to a great extent and finally to make each weapon operate in a rather distinct way. The list of about ten ideas narrowed down to three that ended up in the game:

Secondary weapons

Singularity pulse - produces a strong negative gravity field around the player, deflecting all but biggest enemies away. Enemy bullets in operational radius are turned and fired back on them. By holding the detonate button player can gradually charge the pulse up to the wanted intensity. It’s predominantly a defensive weapon, very good for breaching out of tricky situations.

Sticky mines - Player can launch a number of mines that stick to enemy hulls. When detonated they’ll cause a massive damage to everything in radius. Similar to Singularity pulse each mine can be continually charged up. It’s up to player to decide should he attack with many small scattered mines or just fire a couple of big ones.

A ranting enemy stuffed with mines
A ranting enemy stuffed with mines that are about to detonate

Bullet thief - This weapon sucks out the enemy’s bullet reserves. Stolen bullets “stick” to the player’s ship until he fire them back in form of directed or radial blast. Very effective because it will deprive the enemies of their firepower and simultaneously build up the powerful counterattack.

Bullet thief steal
Bullet thief blast
Bullet thief in action against the X boss (top:stealing, bottom:blasting back)

Only one secondary weapon can be carried at time. Prior to mission start, the player must pick the one he’ll be using throughout the mission. Unambiguous nature of each weapon require of player to deal with enemies in a specific way. This significantly changes the playing style for each weapon. Secondary weapons are powered up alongside the primary. Powering will increase the damage while optimizing the charge consumption.

Third kind of weapon found in the game is the floating bomb. These come in several flavours the players of original Ablation will probably be familiar with. They are detonated simply by picking up. Very destructive but there’s a fair amount of luck involved as they’re randomly spawned by the destroyed enemies.

17 Comments on 'Select secondary weapon'

1. October 27, 2007 at 12:53 am

Mischief Maker said:

May I suggest instead of tapping the fire button to switch between concentrated and spread fire, have the Z button fire a normal spread and Z+Shift fire the concentrated fire like in the toho games.

Using the shift key avoids multiple button issues on keyboards.

2. October 27, 2007 at 2:31 am

bombuzal said:

hello there.

i am on serious medications, due to my WOW addiction, and my doctor told me to find some cool 2d arcade games to reduce the WOW addiction crisis impact.

can your game help me???

3. October 27, 2007 at 7:52 am

nenad said:

Bombuzal, I really think you need to go back to your medications, dude. You are not safe, man. ;)

4. October 28, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Giovanni M said:

Hey, where’s the super hyper mega beam you get to destroy your enemies with. You got to have one, and it should be the kind of weapon that is really hard to obtain, like it would require you to either have a ridiculously high score, a super secret cheat code that could only be obtained after beating the game or if your in danger of dieing.

5. October 29, 2007 at 12:24 am

nenad said:

Well, the laser powered up to the max level of 10 in concentrate mode acts almost like the thing you’re talking about.

There will be some things to unlock when you beat all the levels. I’m not quite sure it’ll be exactly the badass beam though :)

6. October 30, 2007 at 5:15 am

Giovanni M said:

This may be off topic, but what platforms are you going to release this game one if you decide to sell the game? Is it going to be on the pc (Have one), PS3 ( will get one), or Xbox360 (don’t have one but may get one after getting a PS3).

7. October 30, 2007 at 9:00 am

nenad said:

Currently, only the PC (Windows) version is planned.

8. November 1, 2007 at 11:17 am

vesna said:

i like the embossed background and the colours. and love the name of the primary weapon! :)

9. December 24, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Jacob said:

Hey, your download for counterclockwise does not appear to be working. Also this game looks freaking awesome. But I really, really want to try counterclockwise. It’s like a dream come true. Please fix the link !!! Please!!!! I beg of you!!!

10. December 24, 2007 at 3:27 pm

nenad said:

It should work. Which link have you tried and what happened?
    Here’s the direct link: http://www.16×16.org/games/ccw/download/ccw_1_1.zip

11. February 9, 2008 at 4:56 am

Tim said:

I still owe you a hundred though..

12. March 22, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Aesqe said:

13. March 3, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Alexwebmaster said:

Hello webmaster
    I would like to share with you a link to your site
    write me here preonrelt@mail.ru

14. September 4, 2014 at 9:44 am

youtube.com said:

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could
    add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some
    time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog
    and I look forward to your new updates.

15. June 19, 2016 at 2:15 pm

buy csgo ak47 said:

Seriously… such a good webpage

16. June 19, 2016 at 2:15 pm

buy csgo said:

You’re an extremely valuable site; could not make it without ya!

17. October 5, 2016 at 2:51 am

Antoine said:

If you are interested in topic: earn online income breakthrough
    basketball - you should read about Bucksflooder